On The Same Day In March written by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Frane Lessac offers a tour of the world’s weather. This bright and colorful books explains the changes of weather by taking the reader on a tour throughout the world. On the Same Day in March teaches students about the weather cycle by explaining why the weather is different in every part of the world on the same day. The illustrations in On the Same Day in March clearly depict how “in March, winter turns to spring in the Northern Hemisphere, and summer turns to fall in the Southern Hemisphere. The students will enjoy following the weather on “the same day in March” from the Arctic to Thailand to Antarctica!
Here are a few excerpts from the book.
- “In the Arctic polar bears ride on floes of ice, stalking seals, wishing fish, as the six-month sun begins to rise slowly in the arctic skies.” (pg. 1)
- “What will the wind carry today? Clouds of blue-winged swallows, dust that hurts their eyes, rain from up the mountain, kites shaped like butterflies?” (pg. 13)
- “Sunlight sparkles on the market. Sunlight dazzles on the sand.” (pgs. 19 and 20)
On the Same Day in March is an easy-read with wonderful illustrations for students in kindergarten, first grade, and second grade to learn about the exciting world of weather. For kindergarten students, this book will help them investigate and understand simple patterns in his or her daily life by examining weather observations. (VA SOL K.8) For first graders, students will investigate and understand the relationship of seasonal change and weather to the activities and life processes of plants and animals. Key concepts include how temperature, light, and precipitation bring about changes in people’s dress, recreation, and work. (VA SOL 1.7) For second graders, On the Same Day in March will help students investigate and understand basic types, changes, and patterns of weather. (VA SOL 2.6)
- This WizKids website has great information for teachers, parents and students on different types of weather occurrences.
- This Teaching Website provides lesson plans and activities for teachers to do with their class during a weather unit.
- This fun weather website introduces several fun hands-on activities for kids. (Click on the hurricane link, it’s my favorite!)
Book: One the Same Day in March
Author: Marilyn Singer
Illustrator: Frane Lessac
Publication Date: December 2001
Pages: 40 Pages
Grade Range: Kindergarten, First Grade, and Second Grade