Lingmiao's Blog

October 28, 2012

Review of “Die Hard”

Filed under: First Year Seminar Paper — lingmiao @ 8:57 pm

Today, I watched a famous action movie, “Die Hard”. This movie depicts a story that a cop fight with a group of armed and trained terrorists. The New York cop, John McClane played by Bruce Wills, went to the party of his estranged wife’s company. A group of terrorists led by Hans Gruber intruded into that party because they want to obtain money from the stock of that company. The terrorists killed the boss of company and other people in that party were kidnapped as hostages, including John’s wife. It was all up to John to save the hostage situation.

Overall, this is an exciting movie. John McClane, a cop from New York, displays all the character that an ideal cop should possess. He is brave, strong, clever, and sensitive. Unlike the deputy police chief and FBI, he actually cares about the safety of all hostages and never gives up on rescuing them. What is more, his perfect body shape really gives audiences a sense of security.

One of police officer, Powell, impressed me even though I kind of feel he irresponsible when he didn’t search the building carefully at the beginning. Powell always supported John and tried everything he can to comfort and encourage John. I have no doubt that John cannot rescue the hostages and kill all terrorists without Powell’s help. In the earlier of this movie, Powell talked about that he is not on duty any more because he killed a child. However, at the end of movie, Powell still pulled the trigger when one terrorist was going to shoot John. He is John’s excellent partner.

I always hate all the bad guys in the movie. But I didn’t hate Hans, the leader of terrorist since I am kind of Alan Rickman’s fan. Except his purpose is insidious, Hans is a clam, clever and confident man. When John interrupted his plan, he is not out of control like other terrorists. He know what is want and how can he get what he want. However, He is very cruel and cold-blooded. He will kill a man without second thought and won’t feel guilty of it.

On the other hand, I think the duty police chief is such an asshole! He doubts the identity of John at the beginning and try to stop John from rescue hostages simple because he deem John break a possible negotiation between the terrorists and the government. If he think about the words of Powell, the situation would not become that bad. Maybe the existence of him is to magnify the excellence of John and Powell.

At last, I have to admit “Die Hard” is a good movie even if I don’t like it. I don’t like it simple because the plot of this movie is so predictable.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress