Lingmiao's Blog

September 22, 2012

About Me

Filed under: First Year Seminar Paper — lingmiao @ 6:22 am

Welcome to Lingmiao’s Blog!

I believe most people had not seen a combination of letters like “Lingmiao” before they met me. “Lingmiao Qiu”, that is my name! I used to dislike my name since my name in Chinese (邱苓淼) is so hard to write and my classmates always made fun of it. However, this dislike was totally gone when I found the beautiful meaning behind it. It means even if I am as small as a drop now, I can be as strong as an ocean one day.

The meaning behind my name is also my goal. That is why I always give myself challenges, for example taking “FYS 100: Cop, Crime, and Pop Culture”. Before I arrived at the University of Richmond, I already chatted with other freshman from China via Chinese Facebook. One day in June, we talked about which First Year Seminar that we would select for. Most of them tried to take the SAME First Year Seminar course. I definitely know the class will become easier if I can have the same class with them. But, finally, I chose not to follow their steps. Following my heart, I decide to take “Cop, Crime, and Pop Culture” to fulfill my FYS requirement. And this blog is going to record everything I learn from this class. And my every single thoughts concerning about this topic.

I really like this topic. I saw some Criminal TV shows (like CSI, Criminal Mind, Lie To Me) before and found it can be really interesting. Most of you know CSI and Criminal Mind, but might not be familiar with Lie To Me. Lie to me, in fact, is the first criminal show that I saw. This show depicts the story of a deception expert, Dr. Cal Lightman, who helps uncover the truth for the FBI, local police, law firms, corporations, and individuals via microexpressions and body language. At fist, I was simply obsessed with those microexpressions and body language. However, one sentence from the leading actor of Lie To Me touched me and switched my focus. It is “whether people are lying or not is not that important. It is more important to find out why people are lying.” Sometimes, people just unconsciously put too much stress on the result rather than the truth behind result. This sentence reminds me that don’t judge some cases or events only by their appearances. The cause is far more important than effect. So, then, I try to dig the deeper relationship between cops and crime in the show. Cops and crime are not often be talked by people since most of them deem cop and crime are just the business of government. However, studying crime and policing, from my perspective, can open our minds. The relationship of policing and crime is not just police detect crime and figure it out. There are more stories in this relationship! I mean this study can really reveal a part of world we have not seen. For example, how police detect criminals and capture them in the reality crime programming? What is the motivation of criminals? And whether the crime show displays the reality? Do cops usually capture criminals successful like we saw in TV show?

Challenging myself, I believe I can provide you with thought-provoking perspective. This blog will display my every single insight concerning about cops, crime and pop culture. Hope you enjoy this blog!

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress