Personal Biases

Being a Psychology major as well as leadership, I found it incredibly difficult to read many of these articles, particularly Anderson’s “Marketing Scientific Progress and Scientific Method” with out having a pretty biased opinion. In the psychology world if you created an opinion “ad-hoc” or after the experiment is already finished, it cannot actually be called an experiment. For an experiment, at least in the psychological field, a hypothesis must be created apriori, or before the tests are run. In Anderson’s paper when he was comparing logical empiricism to falsification I couldn’t help but close my mind off to logical empiricism  I have been told so many times that a theory can never be proven, it can only be dis-proven  or failed to be dis-proven, other wise known as the falsification, that it is hard to see how others could accept it. It is like the paradigm problem Anderson was explaining. So many scientists have their minds set that they are not open to new ideas. Is that what is happening to us when we decide to specialize in one area? Do we end up closing off the other methods of finding answers? And on a broader level have we closed off our minds to understanding other ways of life to an extent?

Albeit that is a bit extreme, but it is easy to see in a non scientific way that we all have paradigms and stereotypes about people around us based on our own personal experiences. Through our lives we have been institutionalized and been molded to think a certain way aspire to fill certain roles. In America that role is to be as competitive as possible and climb up the ladder of success. In non westernized societies however, it is easy to look down upon the roles that are customary to them. We don’t deny they are there but we think they are not modern, or unfair, just as I couldn’t help but think that logical empiricism seemed not modern. It is a reminder that we must check our judgments before we understand the history behind the idea.

3 Responses to Personal Biases

1. The lens we look at something through and our own personal judgements and biases we bring to everything as Francie mentions is very important, even between the two of us. I am in contrast an Anthropology major as well and the way I read these articles was in a very different way then a Psychology major would read the articles. In a way we are closing ourselves off to new ideas because we are training ourselves to look at things in a certain way.

2. I agree with many of the things Francie said, especially since I have taken multiple Psychology courses. This brings up again the importance of world views and how they can affect the way we interpret and see the world. Francie also brought up the idea of how the western world brings up their children in a uniform way, and this is one world view. While Americans certainly think that this is the best way, it is all we have ever really been exposed to so of course, we are biased. Therefore, it is necessary to remember to put your bias and world views aside when looking at new material because just because something is familiar does not necessarily mean it is correct.

3. I do have to point out that I have a close friend and teammate who is of the scientific variety. He is steadfast in his atheist views and I in my Christian views. However, the two of us are very open to listening to each other and embracing the fact that we have different viewpoints when it comes to the supernatural. Just the other day we talked at length about the meaning of everything and God’s role in it. At the conclusion of the discussion, he took one of my books on Christianity back to his apartment with him because he was genuinely interested in why I believe what I believe and thought he could learn some things. This goes to show that you can be steadfast in your views and be looking through one lens, but at the same time you can try other lenses on just to see what the world looks like for someone else.