Osama Bin Laden

With the anniversary of Osama Bin Laden’s death just days away, many news outlets have been reflecting on the progress in the Middle East since that day. The town I grew up in unfortunately was hit very hard on 9/11, and dozens of residents lost their lives in the attack on the Twin Towers. Therefore, I was very happy when I heard that Osama Bin Laden had been brought to justice in 2011, however with the rise of ISIS and survival of Al Qaeda I’m afraid that little progress has been made in the Middle East. The operation to kill the OSB was definitely a success, but the subsequent withdrawal of troops from the Middle East allowed terrorist cells to continue to grow and expand their influence in the Middle East. Sadly, killing Bin Laden was more of a symbolic victory than it was strategic.

In order to achieve a complete strategic victory in the Middle East and eradicate the many terror cells including ISIS, AQAP, and Al Qaeda, I think that the more powerful countries of the Western world, such as the United States, England, France, Germany, and others who have the military and economic capabilities to sustain a war, should put boots on the ground and not just attack from the air. A united coalition with a common goal can no doubt destroy all of the radical terrorists that have taken control of the region, the international community just needs to fully commit to the plan and not dance around it hoping it will solve itself.